Friday, October 12, 2012

Tis the Season

I admit it...........I am one of those people that skips right over Halloween and Thanksgiving the moment  we have a day below 75 degrees and the stores start stocking Christmas cards. I can't seem to help myself! I tell people that I grew up in a house that might as well be the North Pole starting the day after Thanksgiving. My best family memories more times that not come from the month of December. My parents raised us to cherish family time and to love Jesus (insert the season of Christmas!)

Now that Milt and I are spending the first Christmas since getting married in 2006 at our home instead of my parents I feel the pressure to make those memories just as special for Cooper and Reid. I want the house to look just right, I want to Pinterest the heck out of each room LOL, I have been trying to find crafts and homemade gifts for us to make, cookie recipes, and the best books to read them.

It hit me today that I am missing a great opportunity to create wonderful memories and teach them things..........The entire season of Fall and Thanksgiving!  What a better time to show them the importance of family and how to be thankful. I am thankful every day for my parents and they values they taught me. I knew how to be grateful for what I had. Even though it was very little at times I didn't know I was missing out on anything. Things weren't important to me. My parents raised me to put a bigger priority put on relationships and creating memories with the people I loved. My favorite thanksgiving memory was when I was in elementary school and my grandmother helped me make a layout of a house completely out of leaves. I was complete with furniture and a full bathroom! I want Cooper and Reid to have those times to look back on too, therefore I need to not rush and just be in the moment with them.

I want to make sure that I don't skip over time with my kids during the holidays. They already grow up to fast as it is! This fall I will be thankful, and not rush the days. I'm excited to spend the next few months making memories!


No comments:

Post a Comment